Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday, September 20, 2010

Centennial, CO

 

Yesterday was a long day. I was up at 8am. Dad and I left for the airport around 9. Mom was coming down with a cold, so she didn't get to come with us.

We stopped at IHOP for breakfast, and I couldn't find my phone when we left the restaraunt; so, we had to make a trip home. Only to find out I was sitting on it.

So, attempt #2 for the airport. Success. While sitting at the gate, I overheard a guy behind me on his phone talking about starting his "journey" and rattling off destination of DFW, Denver, and LAX. It seemed too coincidental to me, then he said he should be on the Ice on the 25th. What were the odds? I introduced myself and found out that he was working in Supply at McMurdo. We ended up sticking together through the flights.

Other than being delayed 25 minutes, the flight from DFW to Denver was rather uneventful. I met 3 other folks on the plan that weree headed to McMurdo, too. One of the girls had flown from Philadelphia to catch a connecting flight at DFW for Denver. Nobody can figure out that one.

After arriving in Denver, I met some more McMurdo folks, got my luggage, and caught a shuttle to the Red Lion Hotel. Once there, I grabbed a bite to eat, called home, and crashed.

I got up at 5:30 this morning and, after breakfast, boarded a shuttle for Raytheon.

Today was typical orientation stuff. We received our travel funds, luggage tags, and travel packets. Tomorrow is all about safety briefings. Then we load shuttles for the airport and begin our long flight to Christchurch.

It's hard to believe I'll be at a place very few people ever have the chance to go in about 3 days. Wow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment